Orléans Ville English Language Teachers' Site
Welcome Dear Guest at Orléans Ville English Language Teachers' Forum.

Take your time to browse the contents of some sections or register , if you wish to , so as to have a full access to the content. We'll be so glad to count you among our humble family members if your choice is the latter.

Bye for now!
Welcome Dear Guest at Orléans Ville English Language Teachers' Forum.

Take your time to browse the contents of some sections or register , if you wish to , so as to have a full access to the content. We'll be so glad to count you among our humble family members if your choice is the latter.

Bye for now!
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A Professional Spot For All English Language Teachers

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Latest topics
» Getting to Know the TOEFL
Replies to some questions EmptyTue 9 Apr - 1:02 by Solinet

» Yearly Planning 1 AS & 2AS (All Subjects)
Replies to some questions EmptySun 17 Feb - 21:20 by Youcef DZ

» 2009/2010 Yearly Planning (Gestion Economie)
Replies to some questions EmptySun 27 Jan - 17:56 by Nacera Elahcene

» YEARLY PLANNING-2 A.S-Literary Streams
Replies to some questions EmptyWed 16 Jan - 0:16 by skynet

» The Writing Process
Replies to some questions EmptyMon 7 Jan - 21:35 by dida

» CAPES Sequence Plan : No Man is an Island "Reading and Writing"
Replies to some questions EmptySun 30 Dec - 15:09 by hopefulwealth

» Very interesting Grammar practice:the comparative /superlative forms
Replies to some questions EmptyFri 28 Dec - 18:17 by hopefulwealth

» Doctoral Thesis : Approaches to Teaching Writing (Abdelhak Nemouchi)
Replies to some questions EmptyMon 19 Nov - 21:06 by Abonoran goussat

» 1st Year Scientific Streams Yearly Planning 2009-2010
Replies to some questions EmptyMon 19 Nov - 1:03 by dexuse

» 1st Year Literary Streams Yearly Planning 2009-2010
Replies to some questions EmptyMon 19 Nov - 0:56 by dexuse

Guests’ Number since June 2011
Replies to some questions Pageviews=1
Social bookmarking
Social bookmarking reddit      

Recommend Orléans Ville English Language Teachers Forum

Bookmark and share the address of Orléans Ville English Language Teachers' Site on your social bookmarking website
Useful Software

Keywords
ISLAND revew pair test passive term think waste lesson evaluation plans grammar NOISE share exam posters teach UNIT writing process POLLUTION paper voice traits diagnostic first
May 2024
SunMonTueWedThuFriSat
CalendarCalendar

Replies to some questions

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Boucherit
Honour Member
Honour Member
Boucherit

Replies to some questions Vide
PostSubject: Replies to some questions   Replies to some questions EmptyFri 24 Sep - 15:11

A yes-man is someone who always agrees with those in authority especially when he wants to ingratiate himself with his superiors. But then you don't have to be a yes-man to know the different ways in English of saying 'yes'. Let's take first some examples of enthusiastic agreement that we can use in reply to various questions. To offers such as: "Would you like to try another slice of my apple pie?" -- we can react with: "Yes, indeed I would/ I'll say/rather" or for those who like to be thought of as a bit of a comic there's a choice between "I don't mind if I do" and "I wouldn't say no."

To a request like: "May I borrow your pen a minute to write that address down?" -- we can indicate a friendly response with: "Yes, of course, yes go right ahead" or "yes, by all means." When something of greater substance is under consideration and the speaker expects us to support him but wants positive confirmation all the same as in: "You do think I'm right in refusing to let my future mother-in-law come with us on our honeymoon?" -- we would be justified in using one of the following:

"Yes, I couldn't agree with you more."

"You bet your life I do" or an emphatic

"Absolutely."

When the speaker voices an opinion like: "I think the government will make themselves thoroughly unpopular by increasing the rate of income tax", we can show that we endorse this sentiment with one of these two expressions: "That goes without saying" and "You can say that again."

Ofcourse, there are times when we feel obliged to say 'yes', although if we had more choice in the matter we would be inclined to show our disapproval. Here then are some examples of what could be called reluctant agreement, together with their relevant questions:

"Now tell me, are you going to ring up and ask Sonia and her parents over for lunch next Sunday?" "Yes, I suppose so."

"You will let me make an appointment for you to go and see the doctor, won't you?" "Yes, all right if you insist."

"Can I have half an hour off to go and do some shopping please?" "Yes, go on then."

If, after a great deal of coaxing, your services are asked for and the questioner ends by saying: "And I'm sure you'd make a very good treasurer. You will accept, won't you?" -- you could show your reluctant acceptance by saying: "Yes, all right you win."

Finally, we come to cautious agreement. We are, in effect, saying 'yes' but we're not completely convinced. An insurance salesman could be trying to persuade you to give yourself greater protection: "I think," he says, "you should insure the contents of your house. After all, you might be burgled, mightn't you?" Now, you already have enough insurance and anyhow you don't want to encourage him too much so you don't commit yourself when you say: "Yes, you could well be right." When someone is criticising the firm in which you both work and wants you to share his opinion, he could ask: "You do feel the same way as I do about the way the management treats us, don't you?"

Perhaps you're after promotion and don't want to get involved in an argument so you simply reply: "Yes, there's a lot in what you say." Even more non-committal would be: "Yes, you do have a point there." Occasionally, we still want to be careful in our reply but would also like to express our point of view. To a question like: "I think the judge was right to recommend that the prisoner should be set free, don't you?" -- we could answer: "Yes, that's all very well but..." or "Yes, that may well be so but..." and then go on to state our thoughts on the matter.

Yes, I think that's all I have to say on the matter. Oh, just one word of warning, though. Should the question requiring the reply 'yes' be fired at you while you're in the middle of a mouthful of delicious food, use the international way of expressing it, nod your head. And let that inconsiderate questioner imagine what you might have said.
Back to top Go down
Red1
Honour Member
Honour Member
Red1

PostSubject: Re: Replies to some questions   Replies to some questions EmptyMon 27 Sep - 22:54

Quote :
"And I'm sure you'd make a very good treasurer. You will accept, won't you?" -- you could show your reluctant acceptance by saying: "Yes, all right you win."

That's what "we" like doing
Back to top Go down
Boucherit
Honour Member
Honour Member
Boucherit

PostSubject: Re: Replies to some questions   Replies to some questions EmptyFri 8 Oct - 23:42

Rightful,dear Red1.
Be careful before accepting a bargain.
Back to top Go down
Selmani

Selmani

PostSubject: Re: Replies to some questions   Replies to some questions EmptySat 9 Oct - 15:45

Quite good as idea Replies to some questions 321595
Back to top Go down
Boucherit
Honour Member
Honour Member
Boucherit

PostSubject: Re: Replies to some questions   Replies to some questions EmptySat 9 Oct - 21:22

Selmani wrote:
Quite good as idea
Replies to some questions 91348
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Replies to some questions   Replies to some questions Empty

Back to top Go down

Replies to some questions

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum: You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Orléans Ville English Language Teachers' Site :: Library :: Video Gallery :: General Themes -