Orléans Ville English Language Teachers' Site
Welcome Dear Guest at Orléans Ville English Language Teachers' Forum.

Take your time to browse the contents of some sections or register , if you wish to , so as to have a full access to the content. We'll be so glad to count you among our humble family members if your choice is the latter.

Bye for now!
Welcome Dear Guest at Orléans Ville English Language Teachers' Forum.

Take your time to browse the contents of some sections or register , if you wish to , so as to have a full access to the content. We'll be so glad to count you among our humble family members if your choice is the latter.

Bye for now!
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A Professional Spot For All English Language Teachers

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Latest topics
» Getting to Know the TOEFL
The language of pessimism EmptyTue 9 Apr - 1:02 by Solinet

» Yearly Planning 1 AS & 2AS (All Subjects)
The language of pessimism EmptySun 17 Feb - 21:20 by Youcef DZ

» 2009/2010 Yearly Planning (Gestion Economie)
The language of pessimism EmptySun 27 Jan - 17:56 by Nacera Elahcene

» YEARLY PLANNING-2 A.S-Literary Streams
The language of pessimism EmptyWed 16 Jan - 0:16 by skynet

» The Writing Process
The language of pessimism EmptyMon 7 Jan - 21:35 by dida

» CAPES Sequence Plan : No Man is an Island "Reading and Writing"
The language of pessimism EmptySun 30 Dec - 15:09 by hopefulwealth

» Very interesting Grammar practice:the comparative /superlative forms
The language of pessimism EmptyFri 28 Dec - 18:17 by hopefulwealth

» Doctoral Thesis : Approaches to Teaching Writing (Abdelhak Nemouchi)
The language of pessimism EmptyMon 19 Nov - 21:06 by Abonoran goussat

» 1st Year Scientific Streams Yearly Planning 2009-2010
The language of pessimism EmptyMon 19 Nov - 1:03 by dexuse

» 1st Year Literary Streams Yearly Planning 2009-2010
The language of pessimism EmptyMon 19 Nov - 0:56 by dexuse

Guests’ Number since June 2011
The language of pessimism Pageviews=1
Social bookmarking
Social bookmarking reddit      

Recommend Orléans Ville English Language Teachers Forum

Bookmark and share the address of Orléans Ville English Language Teachers' Site on your social bookmarking website
Useful Software

Keywords
writing diagnostic waste share passive first paper exam revew lesson POLLUTION traits pair term posters evaluation grammar voice ISLAND plans NOISE think process test teach UNIT
May 2024
SunMonTueWedThuFriSat
CalendarCalendar

The language of pessimism

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Boucherit
Honour Member
Honour Member
Boucherit

The language of pessimism Vide
PostSubject: The language of pessimism   The language of pessimism EmptyTue 30 Nov - 21:34

Visit Britain in the Summer and spend a few minutes by the seaside to observe the faces of the sunbathers (and remember the sun does shine here on occasion) or glance at the expressions on the faces of those engrossed in watching the local cricket match and you might get the impression that the world is shortly coming to an end. We do, as you may know, have a tendency to take our pleasures rather seriously and some of us have that unhappy knack of looking on the black side.

Some twenty-five years ago a character on the radio by the name of Mona Lot, who as you may well imagine did moan quite a lot, used a catchphrase that became very popular. After each saga of her woes and miseries she would say in her mournful voice: "It's being so cheerful that keeps me going."

Such people as Mona, when asked how they are, will invariably reply in this vein: "Oh, mustn't grumble, you know." In trade and business two such expressions proliferate. When the graphs in the manager's office show a continuous downward curve, things are said to be going from bad to worse and when the point of bankruptcy is reached, trade is said to have hit rock bottom.

Of course, if you're talking solely about your own despair, you could choose one of these two: to be down in the mouth -- which can be a passing bad mood as when you've just heard that the tax on petrol has gone up -- or down in the dumps -- which is a longer lasting depression and the only solution to which is a holiday long enough to make your problems disappear. If you want to make a metaphor out of your gloom and impress all around that you've read Pilgrim's Progress by the 17th century writer John Bunyan, you can effectively remark: "I'm passing through the -- Slough of Despond." Mind you, you won't get much sympathy for as likely as not your listeners will be hard at work puzzling out the meaning.

Finally, an expression that half apologises for your dark looks by suggesting that such is not your usual frame of mind: "I'm not feeling myself today." Well, I do hope I haven't made you feel too downcast. If I have, go on and enjoy yourself and have a jolly good cry.

But before you do that, let me go over those expressions once more. If you are prone to be pessimistic about the possibility of success in any venture or situation, you are said to look on the black side. If your despondency refers to business or politics where in your view the position is deteriorating, you say: "Things are going from bad to worse." And when the business has reached its lowest point, you declare that it has hit rock bottom.

But most of the expressions referred to personal feelings of depression. You can hint at dissatisfaction with life by answering the question: "How are you?" with a brief:" Mustn't grumble: If your bad mood is shortlived you are down in the mouth and if it's a continuing gloom, down in the dumps. This condition of being downcast is described in literary terms as the Slough of Despond. And finally, you can explain the reason for being generally fed up by saying: "I'm not feeling myself today."

Back to top Go down
NOR
Head of the Forum
Head of the Forum
NOR

PostSubject: Re: The language of pessimism   The language of pessimism EmptyWed 1 Dec - 11:01

Thank you Mr.Boucherit.
Let us be optimists then!
Quote :
"I'm not feeling myself today."

The language of pessimism 321595
Back to top Go down
Guermoud Hadiya
Guermoud Hadiya

PostSubject: Re: The language of pessimism   The language of pessimism EmptyWed 1 Dec - 19:38

Better say :
Quote :
down in the dumps
Back to top Go down
Boucherit
Honour Member
Honour Member
Boucherit

PostSubject: Re: The language of pessimism   The language of pessimism EmptyWed 1 Dec - 23:03

NOR wrote:
Thank you Mr.Boucherit.
Let us be optimists then!
Quote :
"I'm not feeling myself today."

You're welcome,dear queen.You're right as usual.
Back to top Go down
Boucherit
Honour Member
Honour Member
Boucherit

PostSubject: Re: The language of pessimism   The language of pessimism EmptyWed 1 Dec - 23:06

Guermoud Hadiya wrote:
Better say :
Quote :
down in the dumps
Be careful Mrs Guift,you may drown.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: The language of pessimism   The language of pessimism Empty

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum: You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Orléans Ville English Language Teachers' Site :: Library :: Video Gallery :: General Themes -