Orléans Ville English Language Teachers' Site
Welcome Dear Guest at Orléans Ville English Language Teachers' Forum.

Take your time to browse the contents of some sections or register , if you wish to , so as to have a full access to the content. We'll be so glad to count you among our humble family members if your choice is the latter.

Bye for now!
Welcome Dear Guest at Orléans Ville English Language Teachers' Forum.

Take your time to browse the contents of some sections or register , if you wish to , so as to have a full access to the content. We'll be so glad to count you among our humble family members if your choice is the latter.

Bye for now!
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A Professional Spot For All English Language Teachers

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Latest topics
» Getting to Know the TOEFL
Creating a linked classroom. EmptyTue 9 Apr - 1:02 by Solinet

» Yearly Planning 1 AS & 2AS (All Subjects)
Creating a linked classroom. EmptySun 17 Feb - 21:20 by Youcef DZ

» 2009/2010 Yearly Planning (Gestion Economie)
Creating a linked classroom. EmptySun 27 Jan - 17:56 by Nacera Elahcene

» YEARLY PLANNING-2 A.S-Literary Streams
Creating a linked classroom. EmptyWed 16 Jan - 0:16 by skynet

» The Writing Process
Creating a linked classroom. EmptyMon 7 Jan - 21:35 by dida

» CAPES Sequence Plan : No Man is an Island "Reading and Writing"
Creating a linked classroom. EmptySun 30 Dec - 15:09 by hopefulwealth

» Very interesting Grammar practice:the comparative /superlative forms
Creating a linked classroom. EmptyFri 28 Dec - 18:17 by hopefulwealth

» Doctoral Thesis : Approaches to Teaching Writing (Abdelhak Nemouchi)
Creating a linked classroom. EmptyMon 19 Nov - 21:06 by Abonoran goussat

» 1st Year Scientific Streams Yearly Planning 2009-2010
Creating a linked classroom. EmptyMon 19 Nov - 1:03 by dexuse

» 1st Year Literary Streams Yearly Planning 2009-2010
Creating a linked classroom. EmptyMon 19 Nov - 0:56 by dexuse

Guests’ Number since June 2011
Creating a linked classroom. Pageviews=1
Social bookmarking
Social bookmarking reddit      

Recommend Orléans Ville English Language Teachers Forum

Bookmark and share the address of Orléans Ville English Language Teachers' Site on your social bookmarking website
Useful Software

Keywords
waste think term teach POLLUTION paper lesson pair first ISLAND exam diagnostic grammar writing process test evaluation traits passive voice UNIT revew share NOISE posters plans
March 2024
SunMonTueWedThuFriSat
CalendarCalendar

Creating a linked classroom.

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
sab16

sab16

Creating a linked classroom. Vide
PostSubject: Creating a linked classroom.   Creating a linked classroom. EmptyFri 12 Apr - 18:35

[color:3f83=#000000 !important]I found this interesting topic on the net and I'd like to share it with my colleagues.

[color:3f83=#000000 !important]You can guess the difference between their education system and ours.
[color:3f83=#000000 !important]This week has been a very exciting one for both myself and my students. We have been presented with a fantastic opportunity to link our classroom with Kevin Stein's high school classroom in Japan and Rose Bard's high school classroom in Brazil.

This is a really incredible opportunity for my students (and me) that we are all very excited about. If you would like to know more about the importance of, and benefits in, creating linked classrooms, I suggest checking out an article I wrote an lingua and cultura franca here, an article from John Pfordresher on a similar topic here or some research I conducted on a linked classroom here.

As long as the project is running I plan on blogging about how we go about organising the project, problems we face, how we overcome them and some of the students' reactions to the project as well as anything else that seems relevant!

A little bit of background in case you are new to my blog. I teach at a high school in Seoul, South Korea. I teach an after school class that consists of 16 students who are all pretty high level. The after school class runs for 8 x 1.5 hours over the course of 12 weeks, so this is the time I will be using for this project. The after school class is completely voluntary.

So without further ado, I shall get blogging about the project!

[color:3f83=#000000 !important]Part 1 (Introducing the Project)

I was a little bit nervous about introducing the project to my students as I was worried that, with it having nothing to do with their University Entrance Exams, they might not be interested due to the time and effort required. I also didn't want to force the students into doing the project as that would not make for a great experience for the classrooms we will be linked with. So, I decided to outline the basis of the project, then disappear for five minutes and give them the time to discuss it as a class.

To my relief, the class decided, unanimously, that they wanted to take part in the project, with the proviso that it would all be done in class as they didn't feel they have time to add to their schedule out of school. I think one of the main motivations was the opportunity to question the Japanese students about Dokdo and the East Sea of Japan, these are two very hot topics in Korea.

I went into a few more details with the students about the type of activities Kevin and I had thought would be realistic for our students to achieve. Our plan was to encourage communication on three fronts:

1) A delayed interview exchange via recording of questions and answers.
2) Written articles on anything they would like to share with the linked classroom. These would be shared via a website.
3) Videos, again on any subject they would like to share and uploaded to the website.

My students decided they would be most interested in videos and interviews, but that written articles would be a good opportunity to practice their writing skills. We were go on all three fronts!

In order to make the project manageable we split the class into four groups of four. The next task was for the students to brainstorm topics they would like to cover for interviews, articles and videos. They then shared their ideas (see picture below).

Creating a linked classroom. 195721_orig
[color:3f83=#000000 !important]The students were then left (albeit with a little bit of guidance from the teacher) to decide which group would get each topic. Of course, in true Korean fashion, it came down to rock, scissors, paper!

It was then left to the students to make four interview questions they will record and send to the linked classroom and plan an outline of the first article they will write (see picture below).

Creating a linked classroom. 1365645546
[color:3f83=#000000 !important]And that was the end of the first lesson of the linked classroom project. Unfortunately due to exams and school trips I don't our second lesson will be for a number of weeks, but if you would like to keep up to date with the project you can follow me on twitter here or follow AlienTeachers on facebook here.

Also, if you are interested in creating your own linked classroom I recommend checking out this facebook group.
Back to top Go down
lous25
Site Owner
Site Owner
lous25

Creating a linked classroom. Vide
PostSubject: Re: Creating a linked classroom.   Creating a linked classroom. EmptyFri 12 Apr - 21:08

Mr.Sab16 ,let me Thank you for this interesting but frustrating topic as well for it reminds us of the very limited enjoyable learning opportunities we could offer and experience with our students if we were given the chance !
Back to top Go down

Creating a linked classroom.

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum: You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Orléans Ville English Language Teachers' Site :: Library :: Video Gallery :: General Themes -