Orléans Ville English Language Teachers' Site
Welcome Dear Guest at Orléans Ville English Language Teachers' Forum.

Take your time to browse the contents of some sections or register , if you wish to , so as to have a full access to the content. We'll be so glad to count you among our humble family members if your choice is the latter.

Bye for now!
Welcome Dear Guest at Orléans Ville English Language Teachers' Forum.

Take your time to browse the contents of some sections or register , if you wish to , so as to have a full access to the content. We'll be so glad to count you among our humble family members if your choice is the latter.

Bye for now!
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A Professional Spot For All English Language Teachers

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Latest topics
» Getting to Know the TOEFL
Project Pedagogy - Page 3 EmptyTue 9 Apr - 1:02 by Solinet

» Yearly Planning 1 AS & 2AS (All Subjects)
Project Pedagogy - Page 3 EmptySun 17 Feb - 21:20 by Youcef DZ

» 2009/2010 Yearly Planning (Gestion Economie)
Project Pedagogy - Page 3 EmptySun 27 Jan - 17:56 by Nacera Elahcene

» YEARLY PLANNING-2 A.S-Literary Streams
Project Pedagogy - Page 3 EmptyWed 16 Jan - 0:16 by skynet

» The Writing Process
Project Pedagogy - Page 3 EmptyMon 7 Jan - 21:35 by dida

» CAPES Sequence Plan : No Man is an Island "Reading and Writing"
Project Pedagogy - Page 3 EmptySun 30 Dec - 15:09 by hopefulwealth

» Very interesting Grammar practice:the comparative /superlative forms
Project Pedagogy - Page 3 EmptyFri 28 Dec - 18:17 by hopefulwealth

» Doctoral Thesis : Approaches to Teaching Writing (Abdelhak Nemouchi)
Project Pedagogy - Page 3 EmptyMon 19 Nov - 21:06 by Abonoran goussat

» 1st Year Scientific Streams Yearly Planning 2009-2010
Project Pedagogy - Page 3 EmptyMon 19 Nov - 1:03 by dexuse

» 1st Year Literary Streams Yearly Planning 2009-2010
Project Pedagogy - Page 3 EmptyMon 19 Nov - 0:56 by dexuse

Guests’ Number since June 2011
Project Pedagogy - Page 3 Pageviews=1
Social bookmarking
Social bookmarking reddit      

Recommend Orléans Ville English Language Teachers Forum

Bookmark and share the address of Orléans Ville English Language Teachers' Site on your social bookmarking website
Useful Software

Keywords
paper posters process voice POLLUTION traits first evaluation revew NOISE lesson passive think share plans waste test exam writing UNIT grammar term ISLAND pair diagnostic teach
May 2024
SunMonTueWedThuFriSat
CalendarCalendar

Project Pedagogy

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3

Into how many groups are students divided ?
4 per group ( 44 pps / 4 = 11 groups = 11 topics)
Project Pedagogy - Page 3 I_vote_lcap64%Project Pedagogy - Page 3 I_vote_rcap
 64% [ 29 ]
5 per group ( 44 pps / 5 = 9 groups = 9 topics)
Project Pedagogy - Page 3 I_vote_lcap27%Project Pedagogy - Page 3 I_vote_rcap
 27% [ 12 ]
6 per group ( 44 pps / 6 = 7 groups = 7 topics)
Project Pedagogy - Page 3 I_vote_lcap9%Project Pedagogy - Page 3 I_vote_rcap
 9% [ 4 ]
Total Votes : 45

Poll closed

Solinet

Project Pedagogy - Page 3 Vide
PostSubject: Project Pedagogy   Project Pedagogy - Page 3 EmptyThu 12 Jun - 14:27

First topic message reminder :

Project Pedagogy
The Competency-Based Approach to Language Teaching has appeared to nuance the active role (or autonomy) of the learner right after the Communicative Approach to Language Teaching, which did not lay clearly the basis for a role distribution. The project is linked to CBALT. However, its methodology is not easy to apply and the distributions of roles not always made clear (the initiative and the managing is the part of the learner, while monitoring is the teacher’s lot). Nevertheless, one can assume that a very methodical approach to the project work can help both learners and teachers reach their goals and objectives.

DEFINITION
In ELT a project work is an activity that focuses on a task or activity which usually requires an extended amount of independent work done either by an individual pupil or a group of pupils. Much of this work takes place outside the classroom.

The application of the project in ELT or EFL facilitates language learning by setting tasks that require students to make decisions and work mostly on their own. Students collect information from a variety of sources and by collecting and analysing their data, they produce a research work that should be given back at the end of a unit or a chapter to show that the students have learnt information and that they can use it

ADVANTAGES OF GROUP WORK
Small groups working together may produce worthwhile projects. It provides the opportunity for students to learn together while sharing views, problems, and respecting each other’s feelings. The teacher then should support either the individual or the group and let them choose the ones they feel most comfortable with.

In a group effort, all the participants need to contribute to something. They may work together on a single activity or they may decide to subdivide the project into learning tasks assigned to each member of the group.

Below is a partial list of activities teachers may assign to group members:

- Collecting information, facts and pictures.

- Drawing or painting.

- Drawing maps, diagrams and tables.

- Writing poems and acrostics.

- Completing lists.

- Responding to questions and interviewing.

- Writing and telling stories.

- Developing questionnaires.

- Keeping a diary.

- Experimenting.

- Role-playing.

- Writing invitations, recipes.

- Setting rules and regulations.

HOW SHOULD GROUPS BE FORMED?
Most experts on collaborative learning suggest that teacher –selected groups are best, at least until when the pupils become competent at collaboration. Teacher- selected groups aim to achieve a heterogeneous mix which consists of various people different from one another. Such a mix promotes peer tutoring, and helps to break down barriers. The teacher may select randomly to form the groups and this way of grouping is quick and easy and conveys the idea that one can work with anyone. It is up to the teacher to use any way to randomise the group. Here are some suggestions:

- Take the number of pupils in class, divide by the number of pupils you want per group.

- Take some cards of animals, or plants, or countries and so on…Then all the animals would find each other and form a group.

When pupils become good at cooperative group work, they can group themselves by interests for self directed projects

THE PROJECT PURPOSES

Its purposes are:

- to help pupils work with the teacher in formulating objectives.

- to develop techniques to carry out independent work.(It is an approach in which indirect teaching is employed)

- to review all the main points of the unit

- to produce anything they are assigned

- to raise the students’ awareness about their own learning process by examining and categorising the different types of tasks.

- to increase their sense of responsibility towards their mates.

- to recycle what they have learnt previously in a creative way.

- to promote real learning.

- to employ a variety of instructional modes by doing independent study, cooperative learning, brainstorming, role-playing, discovery learning, and discussion.

- to give the students the satisfaction of seeing a tangible product which they have produced.

METHODOLOGY
The project work is a task that promotes (as said before) indirect teaching and second, it is a method of teaching in itself. Every project is the result of coordinated actions and activities undertaken by a student or a group of students. These activities are organised into a process which consist of the following stages: 1) preparation- 2) planning - 3) research - 4) conclusion or results – 5) presentation - 6) evaluation

1) Preparation: the teacher introduces the project work and motivates the students. The students have the chance to discuss with their teacher and ask for more information.

2) Planning:it is the next stage. At this point the pupils’ decisions are confirmed by the teacher, and planning starts on the various aspects of the process such as identifying the sources, determining the mode for collecting information, deciding on the technique to present the project, and assigning individual tasks.

3) Research:This stage is central to the project work. Pupils, individually or in groups, collect materials and information from books, journals, libraries, maps, resource persons (experienced people). At this stage some useful tools can be used such as interviews, observations and questionnaires

a- Interviewsrefer to the collection of information from individuals whom students consider as experts on a subject. They are asked to conduct interviews. They have to prepare their questions in advance and if necessary, tape the entire conversation.

b- Observations: the pupils observe certain events or interactions that they record.

c- Questionnaires:pupils prepare the questionnaires and distribute them to people for a response. It could be written in the native language (if necessary) but the results must be presented in English.

4) Conclusions or results: After the students have gone through all these stages they are ready to present their work. to the teacher and the entire class.

5) Presentation:The following are suggested models or examples of presentation: oral reports, oral reports accompanied with illustrations and pictures, or written reports.

(6) Evaluation: During this stage, the teacher will consider the student effort, creativity, use of sources, and presentation. Of course, it is not the product or the research findings that count here, but the interaction of the pupils to complete the assignment.
Back to top Go down

UnKnown

PostSubject: Re: Project Pedagogy   Project Pedagogy - Page 3 EmptyFri 5 Dec - 12:13

Thank you brother solinet for this interesting and beneficial discussion on this important topic and we are here all learners. first of all let me say that I really like you solinet as a dear brother that I respect since our first contact.second, I do agree with you that projects are a method of teaching as the PBA states.BUT sir, our pupils need to be taught how to collect information and how to analyse those data so that they know what to take and what to ignore according to what they were assigned. Consequently, they can rewrite these data using their own words and style.In addition to this they are going to be discussed on their work (as an integration situation) so that they learn how to defend their points of view and feel at ease before their classmates so that we will have a very interesting lesson whose scenario, actors , décor,production and presentation all dome by the pupils.This sir will take each group at least 15 minutes unlike the Middle School where they are taught how to copy, paste and print then hand their projects so that both parts ( teachers and pupils are losers teachers of their times and pupils of their times and money).SOOOOO brothers and sisters I stick to my question how can you pass 11 groups in two sessions ( of no more than 100 minutes together)??? I corrected projects this week, 6 groups in two sessions and each group was between 6 and 7 ppupils and about 15 minutes with discussions and being graded for everything collection of data,organisation of the project and and ... ( Isn't this a mere realistic point of view and if I am wrong please correct me I am learning)..Thank you all for your precious time you spent reding my point of view.

Last edited by LOYALTY on Fri 5 Dec - 23:34; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Fellague

PostSubject: Re: Project Pedagogy   Project Pedagogy - Page 3 EmptyFri 5 Dec - 16:02

It's not a big problem Mr. LOYALTY. It can be 6 per group in order to win time and effort. I think four insufficint for the project presentation. It's what I do in my classes.
Back to top Go down
Fellague

PostSubject: Re: Project Pedagogy   Project Pedagogy - Page 3 EmptyFri 5 Dec - 16:03

Sêcial thanks to all my colleagues here who are enriching the members' experience and work with their discussions and advice. MAy Allah bless you
Back to top Go down
wallace

PostSubject: Re: Project Pedagogy   Project Pedagogy - Page 3 EmptyFri 5 Dec - 20:41

Thank you Mr. SOlinet, Mr. LOYALTY , Mrs. NOR and the others for the debate. I teach fisrt and third year and don't consider the number of students per group a real problem. I let students choose the group and the number of members per group themselves provided that they don't exceed six ( as it would be a crowd) and not one (as the task itself encourages group work not the individual one). The session I devise to project presentation is merely dependent on the learners' presentation and their work. In a word, three to four hours are the number of sessions I leave to learners for their project (or, as I call, audience)
Back to top Go down
UnKnown

PostSubject: Re: Project Pedagogy   Project Pedagogy - Page 3 EmptySat 6 Dec - 7:13

You are welcome brothers Fellague and Wallace, sure the nu,ber of groups is a problem but not in itself but on the time preserved for presentation that should be guided too that should not exceed 20 minutes, consequently you can not have more than 3 groups each session and 6 or 7 groups in two otherwise the presentation will merrely be a form of speeches giving sessions and nobody will benefit from those time and expenses consuming tasks.Finally everybody will feel frustrated.
Back to top Go down
ouffa
Deactivated Member
Deactivated Member

PostSubject: Re: Project Pedagogy   Project Pedagogy - Page 3 EmptySun 14 Dec - 18:42

well as Iam concerned I would like to say that i have tried hard ( so hard ) to apply this pedagogy but let me tell you dear colleagues with a 44 pupils in each class you can imagine the result ( a very big noise) nat to mention that in every class we will find at least three or four pupils get the idea of the given task i'm not a pessmitic teacher but this is the truth Sad Sad
Back to top Go down
Solinet

PostSubject: Re: Project Pedagogy   Project Pedagogy - Page 3 EmptySun 14 Dec - 18:55

Thank you OUFFA for the reply.
Back to top Go down
Mohamed

PostSubject: Re: Project Pedagogy   Project Pedagogy - Page 3 EmptyMon 15 Dec - 11:35

Most of our troubles start by project presentation. Students don't have enough linguistic and psychological readiness to face their mates and present their work. It takes me a long time to "get rid of" projects and their hardship. I divide students into 6 per group due to time assignment and the courage learners find when working and finally presenting their work. Thanks to all colleagues who have replied and pointed out their opinion towards this topic.
Back to top Go down
Solinet

PostSubject: Re: Project Pedagogy   Project Pedagogy - Page 3 EmptySun 28 Dec - 17:55

What's other colleagues' point of view towards this topic?
Back to top Go down
Boucherit
Honour Member
Honour Member
Boucherit

PostSubject: Re: Project Pedagogy   Project Pedagogy - Page 3 EmptyMon 18 Jan - 7:33

Thank you dear Solinet for this topic.It's really interesting.
The way I've dealt with the projects is as follow:I devided my pupils into groups of four giving them the freedom to select one of the eleven groups they would like to join.Then,I wrote the topics of the different projects and asked them to choose one so that no more than three groups would take the same topic.I've advised them to use the internet,taking only the necessary items and the like bearing in mind that each pupil will expose what he collected in front of his mates so that they should avoid "copy & paste".As I recommended them to engrave their work on a cd and at the end of the third term they'll be able to expose their work by using a data show.I'm planning to invite all my first year pupils to attend this session so as to give them the opportunity to participte and enrich the debate.An extra mark will be added to that of evaluation.
Back to top Go down
Salima

Salima

PostSubject: Re: Project Pedagogy   Project Pedagogy - Page 3 EmptySun 21 Mar - 22:36

All in all, for me a project pedagogy is carried with the minimum of groups in order to gain time.
Back to top Go down
Solinet

PostSubject: Re: Project Pedagogy   Project Pedagogy - Page 3 EmptyTue 23 Mar - 20:50

Boucherit wrote:
Thank you dear Solinet for this topic.It's really interesting.
The way I've dealt with the projects is as follow:I devided my pupils into groups of four giving them the freedom to select one of the eleven groups they would like to join.Then,I wrote the topics of the different projects and asked them to choose one so that no more than three groups would take the same topic.I've advised them to use the internet,taking only the necessary items and the like bearing in mind that each pupil will expose what he collected in front of his mates so that they should avoid "copy & paste".As I recommended them to engrave their work on a cd and at the end of the third term they'll be able to expose their work by using a data show.I'm planning to invite all my first year pupils to attend this session so as to give them the opportunity to participte and enrich the debate.An extra mark will be added to that of evaluation.

I think we are in agreement on that, Mr. Boucherit.
Burning the project and presenting with a data show
was an idea that I used last year but it took much of time,
yet it remains a good and motivating way of learning.
Back to top Go down
Nidhal

Nidhal

PostSubject: Re: Project Pedagogy   Project Pedagogy - Page 3 EmptyMon 27 Dec - 21:21

Thank you, Mr. Solinet for bringing this topic and idea to this forum. Thank you to the colleagues who replied here
Back to top Go down
Redouane
Site Reviewer
Site Reviewer
Redouane

PostSubject: Re: Project Pedagogy   Project Pedagogy - Page 3 EmptyMon 19 Mar - 14:53

Mohamed wrote:
Most of our troubles start by project presentation. Students don't have enough linguistic and psychological readiness to face their mates and present their work. It takes me a long time to "get rid of" projects and their hardship. I divide students into 6 per group due to time assignment and the courage learners find when working and finally presenting their work. Thank you colleagues who have replied and pointed out their opinion towards this topic.

and I have come to share your idea, sir.
Thank you, again
Back to top Go down
dida
dida

PostSubject: Re: Project Pedagogy   Project Pedagogy - Page 3 EmptyThu 12 Sep - 16:38

Of course Thank you deeply to Mr.solinet not only but also to Mr.Redouane ;Nor and all members 

Project Pedagogy - Page 3 Img02910
Back to top Go down
dida
dida

PostSubject: Re: Project Pedagogy   Project Pedagogy - Page 3 EmptyThu 12 Sep - 16:45

laugh_2OV laugh_2OV laugh_2OV Sory for the up side down shape I didn't pay attention laugh_2OV laugh_2OV I divide my pupils after the diagnostic test to not have all the good elements in one group and the weak ones in an other...By the way I hate unit number one "Getting Through"  as I deeply hate the theme of its project.Do you have suggestions for 1st project's  topic?
Back to top Go down
Redouane
Site Reviewer
Site Reviewer
Redouane

PostSubject: Re: Project Pedagogy   Project Pedagogy - Page 3 EmptyFri 13 Sep - 12:55

What up side down shape, madam ? :umbrellaov:The model you have brought is of great interest to the colleagues. Thank you so much for the document.
Concerning your request, let's wait for teachers who have already taught/ are teaching  1st year classes. abracadabra_OV
Back to top Go down
dida
dida

PostSubject: Re: Project Pedagogy   Project Pedagogy - Page 3 EmptyFri 13 Sep - 17:13

I think this will be helpful too
[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
Back to top Go down
Redouane
Site Reviewer
Site Reviewer
Redouane

PostSubject: Re: Project Pedagogy   Project Pedagogy - Page 3 EmptyFri 13 Sep - 21:25

So great is the addition! Thank you, madam
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Project Pedagogy   Project Pedagogy - Page 3 Empty

Back to top Go down

Project Pedagogy

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 3 of 3 Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3

Permissions in this forum: You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Orléans Ville English Language Teachers' Site :: Open Section -