Orléans Ville English Language Teachers' Site
Welcome Dear Guest at Orléans Ville English Language Teachers' Forum.

Take your time to browse the contents of some sections or register , if you wish to , so as to have a full access to the content. We'll be so glad to count you among our humble family members if your choice is the latter.

Bye for now!
Welcome Dear Guest at Orléans Ville English Language Teachers' Forum.

Take your time to browse the contents of some sections or register , if you wish to , so as to have a full access to the content. We'll be so glad to count you among our humble family members if your choice is the latter.

Bye for now!
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A Professional Spot For All English Language Teachers

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Latest topics
» Getting to Know the TOEFL
Difficult pairs(speak vs talk) EmptyTue 9 Apr - 1:02 by Solinet

» Yearly Planning 1 AS & 2AS (All Subjects)
Difficult pairs(speak vs talk) EmptySun 17 Feb - 21:20 by Youcef DZ

» 2009/2010 Yearly Planning (Gestion Economie)
Difficult pairs(speak vs talk) EmptySun 27 Jan - 17:56 by Nacera Elahcene

» YEARLY PLANNING-2 A.S-Literary Streams
Difficult pairs(speak vs talk) EmptyWed 16 Jan - 0:16 by skynet

» The Writing Process
Difficult pairs(speak vs talk) EmptyMon 7 Jan - 21:35 by dida

» CAPES Sequence Plan : No Man is an Island "Reading and Writing"
Difficult pairs(speak vs talk) EmptySun 30 Dec - 15:09 by hopefulwealth

» Very interesting Grammar practice:the comparative /superlative forms
Difficult pairs(speak vs talk) EmptyFri 28 Dec - 18:17 by hopefulwealth

» Doctoral Thesis : Approaches to Teaching Writing (Abdelhak Nemouchi)
Difficult pairs(speak vs talk) EmptyMon 19 Nov - 21:06 by Abonoran goussat

» 1st Year Scientific Streams Yearly Planning 2009-2010
Difficult pairs(speak vs talk) EmptyMon 19 Nov - 1:03 by dexuse

» 1st Year Literary Streams Yearly Planning 2009-2010
Difficult pairs(speak vs talk) EmptyMon 19 Nov - 0:56 by dexuse

Guests’ Number since June 2011
Difficult pairs(speak vs talk) Pageviews=1
Social bookmarking
Social bookmarking reddit      

Recommend Orléans Ville English Language Teachers Forum

Bookmark and share the address of Orléans Ville English Language Teachers' Site on your social bookmarking website
Useful Software

Keywords
ISLAND UNIT diagnostic NOISE term share test teach revew process POLLUTION voice writing waste traits posters passive first paper think pair plans lesson grammar exam evaluation
May 2024
SunMonTueWedThuFriSat
CalendarCalendar

Difficult pairs(speak vs talk)

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Boucherit
Honour Member
Honour Member
Boucherit

Difficult pairs(speak vs talk) Vide
PostSubject: Difficult pairs(speak vs talk)   Difficult pairs(speak vs talk) EmptyTue 1 Mar - 22:19

Mothers long for the time when their child first starts to speak and mothers understandably feel somewhat miffed when babies in their initial babbling attempts tend to refer to their approximation to 'daddy' rather than to 'mummy'. And then having acquired their proficiency in early speech babies never stop talking and the maternal longing starts to wane. And that to some extent defines the difference between this particular difficult pair. . As I have intimated, speaking comes first. That's why we refer to related words like 'speech' and 'speaker' in the way we do. Speech is the origin of how language is expressed and a speaker is someone who delivers a speech often to an assembled audience. There is a place in London where every Sunday people stand up on a wooden box and proceed to speak about any issue they choose and if they get a crowd to listen to them or in some cases laugh or jeer at them, they are quite happy to get a reaction.

This particular spot is called appropriately enough: Speakers' Corner. 'Speak' is therefore the starting point suggesting putting words in some coherent order and then saying them out loud. We say: I understand she speaks several foreign languages. Have you noticed that he speaks with an Australian accent? People were booing while the minister was speaking at the meeting. There is a sense of formality, if you like, about 'speak' It's the starting point of making intelligible noises that other people can understand.

'Talk' on the other hand is the informal one. This suggests an open two way method of communication. Let's contrast these two one with another: I want to speak to you and I want to talk to you. When someone addresses you with the former, it's probably something formal and serious -- The boss wants to say something about your work and it's probably not favourable. On the other hand the latter is much friendlier because the indication is that someone wants to have a conversation with you.

Similarly you would go to listen to a speech delivered in a hall at a seminar in a lycee but you would go to the local village hall to listen to a talk (with possibly picture slides) given by a local birdwatcher about some of the birds that you can see in the area. When someone doesn't like the way you say things either in the type of language or the topics, do they say: I wish you wouldn't speak like that in front of your old aunt or I wish you wouldn't talk like that in front of your old aunt? I have to tell you in all honesty, and I bet auntie would agree with me, you can say either.
Talk to you soon.

Back to top Go down
Solinet

PostSubject: Re: Difficult pairs(speak vs talk)   Difficult pairs(speak vs talk) EmptySat 5 Mar - 20:32

In this case, speaking is better than talking cheers Parents long to see their children speaking, but when the latters do so , the formers feel disturbed. Why that ? This remains another issue for discussion. Thank you , Mr. Boucherit for the topic.
Back to top Go down
Boucherit
Honour Member
Honour Member
Boucherit

PostSubject: Re: Difficult pairs(speak vs talk)   Difficult pairs(speak vs talk) EmptySat 5 Mar - 21:52

Solinet wrote:
In this case, speaking is better than talking cheers Parents long to see their children speaking, but when the latters do so , the formers feel disturbed. Why that ? This remains another issue for discussion. Thank you , Mr. Boucherit for the topic.
You're welcome dear Solinet.
Back to top Go down
NOR
Head of the Forum
Head of the Forum
NOR

PostSubject: Re: Difficult pairs(speak vs talk)   Difficult pairs(speak vs talk) EmptySat 5 Mar - 22:00

Thank you Mr.Boucherit!
Yes, indeed.The words "speak" and "talk" are confusing.
Back to top Go down
Boucherit
Honour Member
Honour Member
Boucherit

PostSubject: Re: Difficult pairs(speak vs talk)   Difficult pairs(speak vs talk) EmptySat 5 Mar - 22:29

You're welcome our queen.
I hope that this contribution may be useful for ovelters.
It was sent to me recently by a non-native speaker who used to talk about the opportunities offered to foreign people to learn English and speak it as well as native speakers.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Difficult pairs(speak vs talk)   Difficult pairs(speak vs talk) Empty

Back to top Go down

Difficult pairs(speak vs talk)

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum: You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Orléans Ville English Language Teachers' Site :: Library :: English For All -