Orléans Ville English Language Teachers' Site
Welcome Dear Guest at Orléans Ville English Language Teachers' Forum.

Take your time to browse the contents of some sections or register , if you wish to , so as to have a full access to the content. We'll be so glad to count you among our humble family members if your choice is the latter.

Bye for now!
Welcome Dear Guest at Orléans Ville English Language Teachers' Forum.

Take your time to browse the contents of some sections or register , if you wish to , so as to have a full access to the content. We'll be so glad to count you among our humble family members if your choice is the latter.

Bye for now!
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A Professional Spot For All English Language Teachers

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Latest topics
» Getting to Know the TOEFL
About time.Part two. EmptyTue 9 Apr - 1:02 by Solinet

» Yearly Planning 1 AS & 2AS (All Subjects)
About time.Part two. EmptySun 17 Feb - 21:20 by Youcef DZ

» 2009/2010 Yearly Planning (Gestion Economie)
About time.Part two. EmptySun 27 Jan - 17:56 by Nacera Elahcene

» YEARLY PLANNING-2 A.S-Literary Streams
About time.Part two. EmptyWed 16 Jan - 0:16 by skynet

» The Writing Process
About time.Part two. EmptyMon 7 Jan - 21:35 by dida

» CAPES Sequence Plan : No Man is an Island "Reading and Writing"
About time.Part two. EmptySun 30 Dec - 15:09 by hopefulwealth

» Very interesting Grammar practice:the comparative /superlative forms
About time.Part two. EmptyFri 28 Dec - 18:17 by hopefulwealth

» Doctoral Thesis : Approaches to Teaching Writing (Abdelhak Nemouchi)
About time.Part two. EmptyMon 19 Nov - 21:06 by Abonoran goussat

» 1st Year Scientific Streams Yearly Planning 2009-2010
About time.Part two. EmptyMon 19 Nov - 1:03 by dexuse

» 1st Year Literary Streams Yearly Planning 2009-2010
About time.Part two. EmptyMon 19 Nov - 0:56 by dexuse

Guests’ Number since June 2011
About time.Part two. Pageviews=1
Social bookmarking
Social bookmarking reddit      

Recommend Orléans Ville English Language Teachers Forum

Bookmark and share the address of Orléans Ville English Language Teachers' Site on your social bookmarking website
Useful Software

Keywords
NOISE traits POLLUTION plans think lesson waste exam share diagnostic test passive term process first pair voice ISLAND posters writing teach evaluation paper grammar UNIT revew
May 2024
SunMonTueWedThuFriSat
CalendarCalendar

About time.Part two.

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Boucherit
Honour Member
Honour Member
Boucherit

About time.Part two. Vide
PostSubject: About time.Part two.   About time.Part two. EmptyMon 11 Apr - 19:01

The present simple pops up all over the place and we can use it when we're talking about something that may well have been written a long time ago because you can still read it today. One of the favourite functions you find in all good grammar books is its use for something you do again and again. You get up, you eat breakfast, you go to work, you play tennis, you take the dog for a walk and so it goes (present simple) on and on just like a habit.

The use that foxes (confuses) everyone is when you're talking about the future and you still use this tense. But beware! Be careful! This is only when something has been arranged for a future event or happening as in: The president arrives at 10. am tomorrow morning or even less grand: The train arrives at 10.am tomorrow morning. Some people get worried when the present simple makes an appearance unexpectedly in a story and is called the 'narrative' present as in: We went to the restaurant last night and this strange man comes (present simple) up to me and asks me if he can borrow some money. 'Comes up to me' suggests this is something you can immediately see before you.

And the sharp eyed will have noticed (that's future perfect by the way and we'll leave that for another day) that I slipped in (inserted) the past simple (went). Now the past simple is nowhere near as colourful. It just says when something took place and that's it. You know exactly where you are with the past simple. You know that the moment someone opens their mouth and starts a sentence like: I saw, I knew, I understood, I heard, that there's going to be either an indication of a past time or an adverb indicating this time in the past.

No worries there then. So that's the two main'simples' dealt with and packed up. But of course English likes to be different and any self respecting simple tense has to have a partner that goes under the name of 'continuous' or 'progressive.' Personally I prefer the former because 'progressive' sounds a bit political to me. You know sometimes when you're watching (see I am using it already -- I can't stop) television and you have to leave the room, you can always 'pause' the picture so that it sits there on the screen and doesn't move an inch.

This non-moving picture is a bit like the simple tenses I described above. Well, then you come back, press a button again and everything starts moving. The continuous form is a bit like that. I am talking (present continuous) to you is something I am doing (present continuous) now. It also has another life that suggests the future as in: I am working late tomorrow. You can say that as long as you include an adverb of time that tells you that it's future. So we are now left with the past continuous. This is the background or interrupted tense.

It leads a disturbed life. Again when you hear someone starting to say: 'When I was walking home last night', you can be pretty sure that the speaker is just about to say what happened next. Forget 'I was walking', that's just the background and it's going to get interrupted with -- 'I saw three elephants strolling down the road'. You see, the past continuous was just there to set the scene and all you're really interested in is these three elephants.

I'll grab (get hold of) an expression I mentioned both in the title and in the text and conclude with: It's about time I stopped.

Back to top Go down

About time.Part two.

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum: You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Orléans Ville English Language Teachers' Site :: Library :: English For All -