Orléans Ville English Language Teachers' Site
Welcome Dear Guest at Orléans Ville English Language Teachers' Forum.

Take your time to browse the contents of some sections or register , if you wish to , so as to have a full access to the content. We'll be so glad to count you among our humble family members if your choice is the latter.

Bye for now!
Welcome Dear Guest at Orléans Ville English Language Teachers' Forum.

Take your time to browse the contents of some sections or register , if you wish to , so as to have a full access to the content. We'll be so glad to count you among our humble family members if your choice is the latter.

Bye for now!
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A Professional Spot For All English Language Teachers

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Latest topics
» Getting to Know the TOEFL
The word"content"as a verb,noun and adjective EmptyTue 9 Apr - 1:02 by Solinet

» Yearly Planning 1 AS & 2AS (All Subjects)
The word"content"as a verb,noun and adjective EmptySun 17 Feb - 21:20 by Youcef DZ

» 2009/2010 Yearly Planning (Gestion Economie)
The word"content"as a verb,noun and adjective EmptySun 27 Jan - 17:56 by Nacera Elahcene

» YEARLY PLANNING-2 A.S-Literary Streams
The word"content"as a verb,noun and adjective EmptyWed 16 Jan - 0:16 by skynet

» The Writing Process
The word"content"as a verb,noun and adjective EmptyMon 7 Jan - 21:35 by dida

» CAPES Sequence Plan : No Man is an Island "Reading and Writing"
The word"content"as a verb,noun and adjective EmptySun 30 Dec - 15:09 by hopefulwealth

» Very interesting Grammar practice:the comparative /superlative forms
The word"content"as a verb,noun and adjective EmptyFri 28 Dec - 18:17 by hopefulwealth

» Doctoral Thesis : Approaches to Teaching Writing (Abdelhak Nemouchi)
The word"content"as a verb,noun and adjective EmptyMon 19 Nov - 21:06 by Abonoran goussat

» 1st Year Scientific Streams Yearly Planning 2009-2010
The word"content"as a verb,noun and adjective EmptyMon 19 Nov - 1:03 by dexuse

» 1st Year Literary Streams Yearly Planning 2009-2010
The word"content"as a verb,noun and adjective EmptyMon 19 Nov - 0:56 by dexuse

Guests’ Number since June 2011
The word"content"as a verb,noun and adjective Pageviews=1
Social bookmarking
Social bookmarking reddit      

Recommend Orléans Ville English Language Teachers Forum

Bookmark and share the address of Orléans Ville English Language Teachers' Site on your social bookmarking website
Useful Software

Keywords
think process NOISE paper waste voice teach passive lesson UNIT first evaluation posters writing share pair revew grammar term exam test POLLUTION plans ISLAND diagnostic traits
May 2024
SunMonTueWedThuFriSat
CalendarCalendar

The word"content"as a verb,noun and adjective

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Boucherit
Honour Member
Honour Member
Boucherit

The word"content"as a verb,noun and adjective Vide
PostSubject: The word"content"as a verb,noun and adjective   The word"content"as a verb,noun and adjective EmptyTue 10 May - 19:06

There's a programme on TV in the UK, which has been around for some time that traces the family of a 'personality' through different generations.We've put the word 'personality' in inverted commas because I want to make sure you know that we're using the word in a slightly different context (setting). It's a word to describe someone who is well known, popular and has acquired a reputation (name) in one area of entertainment and the arts.

Anyhow, in this programme we follow this person as they try to discover who their grandparents and possibly great-grandparents were, where they lived and what sort of work they did. It's called: Who do you think you are? Now this is quite a snappy (effective) title because you can take it on two levels. If you say it calmly, it simply asks: Do you know anything about your family history? And that's the way it's used for the TV programme. Saying it aggressively (angrily) is an entirely different kettle of fish (different situation) because you are challenging (questioning) someone's authority (right) to say what they have just said or to do what they have just done. You might for example get this angry response from the waiter in a restaurant if you suddenly called out: Come on, hurry up and bring me my food immediately! The interesting part of the programme is that we as viewers find it fascinating to see the connection between the personalities we know and their family.

Talking of families brings us on to the relationships of words with each other. It is important when you learn a new word to know what other words are related to it, what, if you like, the other members of the vocabulary 'family' are.

Let's begin with 'contain'. In its simplest form it means to hold or keep inside. We can read on a packet of food: This product contains wheat and sugar. A container ship is one that carries hundreds of boxes which are usually coloured and are also called 'containers' in which are goods that are being carried from one country to another. If you can't control a feeling or emotion, you could say: I couldn't contain my laughter when I saw that film starring Charlie Chaplin. This suggests that you couldn't stop laughing. Again I couldn't contain my anger when I saw that man shouting at poor little girl Hadjer. A not too distant (not far from) cousin of 'contain' could take you to 'content'. Here of course we have to be careful because there are two quite different meanings and it depends how you say the word. When it means 'happy' or 'satisfied', the sort of word that describes how you feel when things at the time are going smoothly (peacefully), you put the stress on the second syllable '-tent'.

When you want to talk about what is inside something, the stress is on the first syllable 'con –'. And of course you can add an 's' and that will describe all the information inside a book. Words can also get a little fatter and add bits. We've just mentioned, when things are going well, you are said to be 'content'. Now you can expand this (make it bigger) by adding 'ed' and describing someone as 'contented'. Remember still that the stress is on the second syllable.

So what's the difference between 'content' and 'contented'? 'Contented' gives a more definite, pronounced or settled picture. If you ask a question in a class and get an answer that explains what you want to know, you can say you are content with the answer. On a larger scale when all your questions are being answered and you like the teacher and you are enjoying the course, you then become contented. Let's just look at the 'family' again.

First there was the verb 'contain', the noun container, the noun 'content' and the plural 'contents'. Then came the adjective 'content' and its bigger relation 'contented'. Then there's one more and this time it's the abstract noun 'contentment' – a state of mind we all surely want. But in all families there is always what we call the black sheep, the one we don't talk about, the one we try not to mention. In this family it suggests a state where everything is negative – in other words when we are not content and not contented and that adds 'dis' to the beginning. As I come to the end of this piece, all I can hope is that you are not a 'discontented' reader.
Back to top Go down
lous25
Site Owner
Site Owner
lous25

PostSubject: Re: The word"content"as a verb,noun and adjective   The word"content"as a verb,noun and adjective EmptyTue 10 May - 19:55

I am content with your nice topic Mr Boucherit.Thank you.
Back to top Go down
Solinet

PostSubject: Re: The word"content"as a verb,noun and adjective   The word"content"as a verb,noun and adjective EmptyWed 11 May - 0:33

I always had a conflict with colleague of mine about categorizing words....spelling...and stress. We are what we are queen Thank you, Mr. Bouchrit for this reminder.
Back to top Go down
Boucherit
Honour Member
Honour Member
Boucherit

PostSubject: Re: The word"content"as a verb,noun and adjective   The word"content"as a verb,noun and adjective EmptySun 15 May - 22:50

You're welcome dear colleagues.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: The word"content"as a verb,noun and adjective   The word"content"as a verb,noun and adjective Empty

Back to top Go down

The word"content"as a verb,noun and adjective

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum: You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Orléans Ville English Language Teachers' Site :: Library :: English For All -